We made it! It’s Friday! This week you may have celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day or Dia de Altagracia (or both!). This week you may have had 100 snow days – congrats! I walked to the ocean. Tonight our church’s Missions Conference kicks off and I’m pumped to hear from the missionary/speaker and talk about how we can be doing this whole thing better and more whole-heartedly (which apparently isn’t a word).
- The Bible was ‘clear’… at Rachel Held Evans – I’ve been thinking about this concept lately as I read through the Old Testament and see all of these crazy commands and I know that we are no longer bound under the law but then what does count? It just reinforces my belief in reading the Bible as a whole document – living and unchanging and inspired, yes – written by people living in a specific time and culture.
- Polyanna Domond makes beautiful with tires and glass bottles recovered at Le Nouvelliste – (That title is Google-translated from French.) This gorgeous woman made a gorgeous house out of recycled trash! A beautiful place for people to hang out. Restoration in Jacmel, Haiti (which is coincidentally where my friend Mary lived for a time and left a piece of her heart).
- Say Anything. at Jamie the Very Worst Missionary – She said it better than I did.
- 40 Must-See Photos From The Past at Bored Panda – From bullet proof vests to one piece bathing suits, these 40 photos cover a lot of interesting material.
- “Don’t Give Up On God” – My Deconversion Pet Peeve at Roses and Revolutionaries – Listen to people’s stories. “Take your concern elsewhere. If you couldn’t give it to me when I was in desperate need of it, I’m doubting it’s sincerity now.”
- 4 reasons white people need to talk about race at between worlds – Talking about race can be uncomfortable, but it’s necessary and good.
- An Architecture Student God Stick Of Normal Projects. So He Bought A Bus… And You Gotta See It Now. at Viral Nova – I like this tiny house movement. So cozy!
- The glitter & gloss of the faith of my youth at Nish Weiseth – Someone shared this post on Facebook (I think it was The Very Worst Missionary, actually) and I dig it. I poked around Nish’s blog after reading this post and dug that stuff, too. Check her out.
- J.K. Rowling To Bring Diagon Alley To Life – Accio Firebolt! at Refinery 29 – H-E-double hockey sticks YES! I cannot wait to visit this. I’ve been to Harry Potter World at Universal Studios twice and have been looking forward to this upgrade/redo since I heard about it over a year ago. While I was reading this article, More Than Life by Whitely was playing on my Lumineers Pandora Station. It was very fitting.
- 30 Rock on Netflix – I’ve been watching and re-watching this one for a while now. Add it to the list of my “comfort shows” (Big Bang Theory, Will and Grace, Arrested Development, and New Girl).
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower on Megashare – I wrote about this one this week. It kind of got me on a Logan Lerman kick (see below). He kind of reminds me of Zac Efron, which is awesome, because Zac Efron has like, two movies I enjoy watching on a regular basis (Charlie St. Cloud and Hairspray, obviously).
- Stuck in Love on Netflix – After I wrote about The Perks of Being a Wallflower and shared the post on Facebook, a friend recommended Stuck in Love. Man I loved it. There is this one scene after the whole family finds Kate at some scumbag’s house and she’s passed out and after they get her in the car Rusty lifts up the blanket she’s wrapped in and whatever he sees causes him such pain. He just kind of cradles her head in his arm and cries. I just can’t stop thinking about that scene and how Rusty must’ve felt in that moment.
- Naked Noise: Shannon Saunders – Medley of “Wrecking Ball”, “Roar” and “Royals” by Naked Noise on YouTube – I just love Wrecking Ball! And this is a solid medley.
General good finds:
- “I freed thousands of slaves. I could have freed thousands more if I could have convinced them that they were slaves.” – Harriet Tubman