Merry Christmas!!! This week I celebrated Christmas by playing board games with family and friends, watching classic Christmas movies – which in my house means movies like Jingle All The Way and more traditional options like White Christmas – making and doing my part to eat one hundred Christmas cookies, good ol’ fashioned sleepovers with great gal pals, and a day on the town (of Westland) with my pal Kyle. I also celebrated by watching a crap load of 30 Rock and not really leaving the house much. Ho ho ho!
- 18 of the Best Autocorrects of 2013 at Little White Lion – These are always funny.
- What You Believe About Homosexuality Doesn’t Matter at In The Parlor – “The fact of the matter is, it doesn’t matter whether or not you think homosexuality is a sin. Let me say that again. It does not matter if you think homosexuality is a sin, or if you think it is simply another expression of human love. It doesn’t matter. Why doesn’t it matter? Because people are dying. Kids are literally killing themselves because they are so tired of being rejected and dehumanized that they feel their only option left is to end their life. As a Youth Pastor, this makes me physically ill. And as a human, it should make you feel the same way. So, I’m through with the debate.”
- Dear Kids: What You Need to Know About Duck Dynasty, Justine Sacco, and Christmas at A Holy Experience – A great lesson on the importance and permanence of words. It’s easy to talk about how crappy of a job people are doing at being humans in public, but it’s a little harder to ask yourself how you can be a better human. The lady behind A Holy Experience does a great job at challenging us all to be better humans with kinder words.
- Utah Is on Track to End Homelessness by 2015 With This One Simple Idea at NationSwell – Interesting idea!
- Everyone’s a Biblical Literalist Until You Bring Up Gluttony at Rachel Held Evans – This is what I have been trying to say about the issue of homosexuality in the church for years. Rachel Held Evans is a lot better at saying things than I am, so read this.
- Couple Married 61 Years Ago Takes “Up” Inspired Anniversary Photos at My Modern Met – The ten minute intro love story was the only part I liked about this movie. This photo shoot is adorable and I hope that one day I can celebrate 61 years of marriage with a guy that I love as much as this lady loves her man.
- Write A House Is Giving Writers Free Homes In Detroit at Huffington Post – If I ever want to live in Detroit, this is how I can do it.
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in Theaters – Last year during Christmas break I went to the theaters by myself to see the first Hobbit, so it seemed only fitting that this year during Christmas break I should go to the theaters by myself to see the second one. Let me just say, I loved the second one so much more than the first. You can read/see more of my reaction to the movie here.
- 30 Rock on Netflix – I finished the series! It ended well. I’m not sure I’d want to watch the series again, but I sure enjoyed it!
- Jingle All The Way on DVD – My dad picks the Christmas movies and this was the one we watched Monday night. He says it’s a classic but I don’t really like it. Last year we watched Home Alone and I think that one is a better classic than Arnold Schwarzenegger chasing after an action figure.
- White Christmas on DVD – Now this is a Christmas classic. My dad and I watched it on Christmas Eve. Every time I watch it I am more impressed with the dancing! So fun. And I just think Rosemary Clooney is breathtakingly beautiful in all of her gowns. Snow, snow, snow!
- IBEM college/youth wishing you a Feliz Navidad by Gary Hale on YouTube – My pastor in the Dominican Republic shared this video from their annual college Christmas party. Feliz Navidad!
General good finds:
- “Take risks. Big risks. Smart risks. I’m not talking about drunk driving or running naked in the snow, I’m talking about going out on a limb to achieve your goals. I’m talking about venturing into unknown territory with no safety net, no fallback plan, no cushion, and nobody holding your hand… There’s time for fun and comfort, but not now. Not when we’re young and have so much to do. I don’t say this because I’m some huge success story; I say it because I’m not. Not yet, anyway. I say it because I’m in the thick of it, too.” – Matt Walsh
- The Portfolio of David Baum – My friend David’s cool new website! If you need anything pretty made, he can probably make it for you.